Strategic Wealth Partners was acquired by Kovitz Investment Group Partners, LLC ("Kovitz"), a registered investment adviser with the SEC on May 1, 2024. Strategic Wealth Partners is now a division of Kovitz and its registered investment adviser. Materials created prior to this date were created by Strategic Wealth Partners and are accurate as of the time of publishing.

18 is the Magic Number

Congratulations! Your child graduated from high school. Many of these newly minted young adults will leave the nest, spreading out across the country to different colleges and universities. Parenting is about to enter a new phase.

You may be putting together a list of things your child will need: Mini fridge, new linens, cleaning supplies – all the things an 18-year-old needs for his or her first year away from home. One thing that may not be on your to-do list (yet!) is having your child complete a power of attorney form and a HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) authorization form.

Can you imagine not being able to get information on your child’s medical condition if your child gets sick or hurt at school? After turning 18, your child is an adult in the eyes of the law. You may still think of them as your little boy or girl, but you legally cannot continue to make decisions for them as you have in the past.

Below are very important documents you may consider having your child complete before sending them off to college:

1. Durable Health Care Power of Attorney (POA)

A Health Care POA appoints an ‘agent’ to make medical decisions on behalf of someone in case that person isn’t able to make those decisions for themselves. The person’s agent communicates the injured or sick person’s wishes to the hospital or medical staff. The use of the word ‘durable’ simply means that the power stays in effect after the person becomes incapacitated.

Most often, an 18-year-old or young adult has a parent act as their agent. However, it can be anyone.  Just make sure it is someone that is trusted and will act in the young adult’s best interests. It is also important to name at least one successor agent if the first agent is unavailable or unwilling to act.

There are many sites where advance directives such as a power of attorney for health care form can be downloaded and completed by your child without a lawyer. For Illinois, the Health Care POA can be found here.  For Wisconsin, the Health Care POA can be found here.  Each state has its own nuances to the law, so it is recommended to complete a form for your home state and, if the child is attending college out of state, the state where your child is attending college.

NorthShore University Health System suggests that when an 18-year-old goes for their physical, they should ask their primary care physician for an advance directive that includes a POA.  The form can be signed during the appointment and returned to their primary care doctor who can scan it into their system.

2. HIPAA Authorization Form

In many cases, the HIPAA authorization is incorporated into the Health Care POA. HIPAA requires doctors, nurses, hospitals, and other healthcare providers to protect their patients’ health information. Once your child turns 18, he or she is considered an adult and is protected by these HIPAA rules.

If your child gets hurt or sick while at home or away at college and is taken to the hospital, the hospital staff cannot share any information about your child’s condition without a HIPAA consent form signed by your child. A signed HIPAA authorization form allows the agent to have access to information. Whoever is listed as the agent can have access to information about the person. A HIPAA authorization form can be found here or some schools may have their own form available at the Health Center.  For example, the form for the University of Illinois in Champaign is referenced here.


Once you have filled out the forms, what do you do? Give a copy to the person(s) acting on your child’s behalf. You should also give a copy of the Health Care POA to your child’s doctor and keep several for yourself. Keeping an electronic version of the POA on your phone or computer is a good idea.

If your child ever changes their mind or cancels their documents, the safest way to do this is to complete a new form and let everyone involved know the person has changed their instructions. Then destroy all the copies of the old form. If there is more than one signed form with different dates, the medical community will honor the most recent form.


While these documents may be the last thing you are thinking about as you send your child off to school, they serve to protect you and your child. At the very least, taking a look at these documents and talking to the appropriate professionals may save you time and a potential headache down the road.

Also, these forms are not just for people turning 18 – they are for anyone from age 18 to 118. You may want to review your own POA during this process as well.

If you have any questions or need help finding or filling out the forms, please do not hesitate to reach out to us.


    This article contains general information that is not suitable for everyone. The information contained herein should not be constructed as personalized investment advice. Reading or utilizing this information does not create an advisory relationship. An advisory relationship can be established only after the following two events have been completed (1) our thorough review with you of all the relevant facts pertaining to a potential engagement; and (2) the execution of a Client Advisory Agreement. There is no guarantee that the views and opinions expressed in this article will come to pass. Investing in the stock market involves gains and losses and may not be suitable for all investors. Information presented herein is subject to change without notice and should not be considered as a solicitation to buy or sell any security.

      Strategic Wealth Partners (‘SWP’) is an SEC registered investment advisor with its principal place of business in the State of Illinois. The brochure is limited to the dissemination of general information pertaining to its investment advisory services, views on the market, and investment philosophy. Any subsequent, direct communication by SWP with a prospective client shall be conducted by a representative that is either registered or qualifies for an exemption or exclusion from registration in the state where the prospective client resides. For information pertaining to the registration status of SWP, please contact SWP or refer to the Investment Advisor Public Disclosure website (

      For additional information about SWP, including fees and services, send for our disclosure brochure as set forth on Form ADV from SWP using the contact information herein. Please read the disclosure brochure carefully before you invest or send money (

      Neal and Laurie Price Award Announcement
      Congratulations to Laurie and Neal Price on receiving JCFS Chicago’s Irving B. Harris Leadership Award! Strategic Wealth Partners is proud of Laurie and Neal’s dedication to supporting children, teens, adults,...
      Read More